Friends of mine have been together since they were 14 years old, and the husband was always the one more likely to get sick. He had more sick days than his wife did in school. He was more likely to run a fever and his colds would often last about two weeks. Everything changed when he became a beekeeper.
While bee stings caused his skin to swell, the most active component of bee venom is melittin, a powerful anti-inflammatory substance that is said to be 100 times more powerful than hydrocortisone. His immune system eventually adjusted to the daily bee stings and we both noticed something remarkable. He was rarely ever sick, and when he was sick, it was for a very short stint of time.
The key toxic component in bee venom, Phospholipase A2 (PLA2), can induce immunity and protect against allergic reactions. Subsequently, if you happen to be fighting an illness at the same time you are stung, the venom can cause your immune system to fight harder and ward off the illness.
Research from Yale School of Medicine has shown that repeated stings applied regularly, can induce a long-standing antibody response and reduce many common allergies. Turns out, the majority of my friend's cold symptoms were really allergy symptoms to things like pollen and environmental elements.
I don’t suggest trying bee sting therapy without the supervision of an allergist, however, if you are not allergic to bees, simply taking up the common hobby of bee keeping could prove to be very beneficial to your health.
Give it a shot!