People often come to me with the same question.
Do you ever cheat on your diet?
They look at my covered physique and well-lit Facebook pictures and they assume that I’m anti-indulgence, or that my sweet tooth doesn’t work against me like theirs does.
Well, here’s the truth:
I LOVE SWEETS. Chocolate to be exact.
I could eat it daily... sometimes I do.
There there are times when eating out disagrees with my fitness aspirations.
When it’s time to really get focused and put the cookies away, I don’t abandon the sweets, I simply make them myself.
Follow along as I share with you my absolute favorite contest prep dessert.
This recipe will get you through some of the toughest of days. Trust me when I say, you’ll be licking the plate, or in this case, the bowl.
• 1 tbsp. egg substitute (I used ground flax seeds)
• 1/4 c. water
• 1/4 c. mashed cooked sweet potatoes (or sweet potato baby food)
• 2 tbsp. soy, rice, or almond milk
• 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
• 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
• 7 tbsp. self-rising flour
• pinch of kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
• 3 tbsp. toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
1. In a large mug, whisk together the egg substitute and water with a fork and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
2. Stir in the sweet potato, soy milk, vanilla, and sugar.
3. Add the flour, salt, and spices.
4. Beat it (careful...) until smooth.
5. Fold in the nuts.
6. Divide the batter between two mugs.
7. Microwave separately for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes each until risen and firm.
These babies are quick and tasty!
For an even healthier snack, leave out the vanilla extract, brown sugar and almond milk.
I typically use my protein powder and that provides ample flavor.
Tune in next time.
You never know what The Muscle Chef is cooking!
PS- Here's an AWESOME Cookbook of DESSERTS that are Paleo/clean eating: