The Miami Marathon is on February 1, 2015 and it is 16 weeks away.
I want to say that I am excited to restart my training, and that I am looking forward to it and that every time I go for a run I am happy and energized.
But that would be a lie.
• The truth is I am overwhelmed.
• I look at my schedule for the next 16 weeks and wonder when I will have the time to run 4 days a week.
• How will I possibly run 8 miles next Sunday?
• What possessed me to sign up for this marathon?
A year ago when I signed up it seemed like a good idea.... And it still is a good idea. I think!
I am overwhelmed because it seems like my body is back to where it was last year before I started training.
Yes, I can run 4 miles easily but more than that I am tired and sore.
I am scared because I remember the weeks leading up to last year’s race.
• The mental energy,
• the physical strain the runs have on my body,
• the setting aside time to run,
• the changing of priorities for 4 months in order to accommodate the running schedule,
• now at the beginning of it all, I am doubting my decision.
In training for this Marathon I fluctuate between seeing the big picture... but focusing on the details.
That memory that knowledge, of what will be is my driving force.
Yet on the day-to-day bases I focus on small goals, on running today’s 4 miles well, on completing a hard workout, on enjoying my recovery days. I try to approach each day as a new and different work out, what happened yesterday is in the past.
I know that this journey will be full of ups and downs, with easier days and harder ones, with aches and pains, and tears, and in the end it will all be worth it. I hope!
How do you break through mental barriers? How do you make the time?