No, you won’t find unicorns, rainbows and leprechauns here... but it is known as: The Happiest 5K Run on the Planet! You may have seen your buddies posting on their Facebook walls their pristine white shirt before pictures and their color covered after pictures and wondering what the hell is that? And if you haven’t even seen that, you’re probably wondering what the hell I’m even talking about. I’m talking about The Color Run.
Is this just another 5k race?!? Not at all! It's a 5K that’s about more than just running. As the original paint race, the creators of the Color Run aim to promote healthiness and happiness by bringing the community together. You may be thinking "that sounds sweet and all, but really? What’s the big deal?" This is a fun run that welcomes all ages and athletic abilities. The races tend to bring out a sense of community and after all, many of the proceeds do go to charity.
So what are the details?
Well, the distance is the same as any other 5k race, 3.1 miles and it’s not timed.
• Throughout the run you pass four different color stations.
• Each station is equipped with a different color powder.
• As you pass through the race and the color stations, more and more color is added to your previously perfectly white tee. There are literally people standing to the left and right of the course throwing powder at you. It’s hysterical, messy and makes you forget that you’re still running a 5k. At the end of the race:
• There’s more color throwing,
• There’s a dance party, and
• There’s a Finish Festival that’s even touted as
If you’re ready to sign up and have some fun, I highly recommend that you check out their site and find the closest race to you. If you have never done a 5k before than this is a great place to start. It’s fun, not competitive and overall an awesome time!
Try it out for yourself and I promise you won’t regret it.