It’s Mid-November and all over the place you’re seeing men with these scruffy two-week slaps of hair on their upper lip and you’re thinking:
1. Ya lazy bum!
2. Shave that caterpillar off your lip!
3. Didn’t I see your mugshot at the post office?
4. Don’t you have a wife/partner/lover/mirror that’s a screamin’ right about now?!?
In 2003, two mates (that’s what they call them down undah) from Melbourne, Australia, Travis Garone and Luke Slattery, were having a quiet beer at the Gypsy Bar on Brunswick St, Fitzroy when their conversation turned to recurring fashion trends. They questioned where the Mo had gone and joked about bringing it back.
They decided to talk their buddies into growing a Mo. Inspired by a friend’s mother who was fundraising for breast cancer, they decided to make the campaign about men’s health and prostate cancer. They designed rules and guidelines for Movember (which are still in place today) and agreed to charge ten dollars to grow a Mo... They found 30 guys willing to take up the challenge.
Those first 30 Mo Bros grew their mustaches with such enthusiasm that in 2004 a decision was made to formalize the concept and get all participants growing for a cause.
The guys researched men's health issues and agreed to formally support prostate cancer as their cause.
Fast forward to present time and, well, okay, last year:
• 4,027,688 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas since 2003
• USD $559 million raised since 2003
• 770 men’s health projects funded since 2003
• Participating countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and USA
• The Movember Foundation accepted the Social Force of the Year award from GQ magazine
Oh, and even though we're about half-way through MOvember, it's not too late to get on-board!
Click here to sign up, review how the fundraising works, and help make a difference!!!