Why the hell that man that reminds me of my granddad on the Dos Equis commercial is so popular is beyond me... but, it fascinates me.
We all know he’s some shmuck in Hollywood who was an actor hired for the role.
Ok so he’s not a shmuck, he’s probably a really nice guy.
• Johnathan Goldsmith took on the role in 2006 and According to the company, “U.S. sales increased each year between 2006-2010 and tripled in Canada in 2008.
Not so surprising if you ask me.
Goldsmith said in an interview that he realized how successful the campaign had been when a man came up to him in a restaurant, telling him that he had asked his young son what he wanted to be when he grew up, and the son replied:
"I want to be The Most Interesting Man In The World."
Well besides the fact that he ends each commercial sitting with several women young enough to be his granddaughters, ekkk, it’s that
“Stay thirsty my friends” is his one-liner and it works!
• What makes him and some of the people you personally know so intriguing and mysterious is actually just an illusion.
And with a few simple tips, you too can be that dark and smoky man/or lady of mystery that has everyone wanting more.
So as I eluded to above, Mr. Most Interesting Man In The World says very little.
You invite those around you to create their own story about you and more than likely they will create a fairly good one.
Now this goes without saying....but I’m gonna say it anyways....what you say and how you say it is very important in order to leave them instantly intrigued to know more about you.
• If you don’t play your cards just right you’ll just come off like a prick trying to impress people with all of your accomplishments and telling a story about every damn thing in your life.
People absolutely LOVE to talk about themselves yet surprisingly admired the ones that say the least the most.
No, don’t quit your job or get dozen body piercings and start hanging out with the Red Bull daredevils.
• Once you have created a pattern of behavior that people expect from you, casually introduce them to your new hobby or an unexpected comment that wasn’t at all something you’d typically say.
• This will throw them off a little since they have already built a perception of you in their mind and now they are thinking “wow that was certainly unexpected” and possibly wondering what could be next, Mr. Sexy Time.
• Getting them thinking about you is what you want out of all this right? You egomaniac!
Again, there could be a downside to this if you go a little too far and now your just a psycho or having a mid-life crisis. No Bueno.
Yes, get your shit and get movin’.
Creating a relationship with people and being seen as a great person to be around is vital.
However, if you want someone to crave you even more, then leave them wanting more.
• When you are always around, people will tend to become familiar with your presence and therefore appreciating it less.
• Never and I mean never be the last to leave.
• I don’t care how much fun you are having or who you are chatting up at the bar, excuse yourself for whatever reason and go.
• The last thing you want to do when you have just met someone you are interested in is to overstay your welcome.
• If they want to get to know you, then leave them with a few unanswered questions... then.... BAM a follow-up date is requested.
I’m a genius.
And for even more intrigue, never be too available for every get together or event that you are invited to.
Pick and choose wisely and for the rest, you are either traveling, busy, or better yet, no explanation given.
Wow, I know, I tell you to be aloof and now I say not to be?
• Actually what I am saying is to have some interesting things to talk about, ask questions about them, but don’t divulge so much that she/he knows your mother’s maiden name and the state you were born in.
• Show a confident charismatic side to you, but also a potentially dark secret side that only your closest friends will ever get to appreciate.
Enjoy your bag of tricks, and don’t be a prick...
I’ll refuse to admit that I know you.