Weekend Meal Prep: One-Skillet Healthy Paella
Paella is a savory dish that traditionally requires patience, skill and an epic amount of time to prepare. Luckily, the culinary ninjas at Fit Men Cook have crafted a one-skillet paella recipe that cuts down on cleanup without sacrificing flavor.
Weekend meal prep just got turned up a notch with this high-protein crowdpleaser!
Preparation time: 10 minutes (with rice already prepared)
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for 6 servings (or more):
- 1.5lb chicken breasts
- 1/2lb jumbo shrimp (raw, peeled and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups cooked short grain brown rice or Arborio rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- 2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (or minced garlic)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to the instructions given and set aside. To save time and space in the kitchen, I use a rice cooker to prepare the rice.
- Chop raw chicken breasts into small pieces. Then, chop the shrimp into small pieces.
- Set a (cast-iron) skillet on medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Once it has melted, add red onion and garlic paste. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook until the edges of the red onion have browned.
- Toss in raw, chopped chicken breasts and cook until the chicken is about 75% cooked. Do not be alarmed if some parts of the chicken are still pink.
- Toss in raw shrimp and stir with wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until the shrimp is about 75% cooked.
- Add paprika and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Stir.
- Then, add cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Stir and reduce heat to medium.
- Pour in chicken broth and then add saffron. Allow the contents to simmer and gently stir. Allow it cook for about 3 minutes. If you would like, add fresh lemon juice.
- Lastly, add frozen peas and stir. Allow the paella to simmer for about 5 minutes, then garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 servings:
401 calories, 41g protein, 41g carbohydrates, 8g fat, 5g fiber, 5g sugar
This article is presented by the masters of clean eats, Fit Men Cook
| Give their recipes a thumbs up on Facebook
| Tweet them your culinary concoctions on Twitter
| Take a peek at their #FoodPorn on Instagram
Leave a comment