Gluten-Free Salt and Pepper Almond Crackers Satisfy a Craving for Crunch
Crunchy and satisfying, these Salt and Pepper Almond Crackers are a delicious alternative to commercially processed snack crackers. Loaded with all the good things almonds have to offer, these are gluten-free and dairy-free as well.
Pack them in a lunchbox, gym bag, or briefcase for a mid-afternoon munchie; serve them alongside soup or salad; or enjoy them with guacamole or hummus as an hors d'oeuvre.
This recipe is a basic template, with salt and pepper enhancing the natural toasted almond flavor. Feel free to experiment with flavorings to customize your crackers. Try replacing half the olive oil with toasted sesame oil and adding a tablespoon or two of sesame seeds. Or mix a tablespoon of chopped rosemary into the dry ingredients.
Eating healthy doesn’t mean cutting snacks from your diet. These crackers are an excellent snack option that you can feel good about eating and actually enjoy.
Get the Recipe: Gluten-Free Salt and Pepper Crackers
Tip: Make a double batch—these go quickly! They’ll keep for up to two weeks at room temperature in a tightly sealed container.
Yield: About 4 dozen crackers
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt plus additional for sprinkling
- ½ - 1 teaspoon cracked pepper (according to preference)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together almond flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together egg white, water, and olive oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated. Divide the dough in half.
- Place one half of the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll as thin as possible (shoot for 1/8”).
- Remove top sheet of parchment and transfer bottom sheet, with dough on it, to baking sheet.
- Use a pastry wheel, pizza cutter, or paring knife to cut the dough into desired-size squares. Sprinkle liberally with coarse salt, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes, until just golden. Turn off oven and let crackers remain in oven until golden brown, about 5 more minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheet and store in an air-tight container.
Per 1/12 of recipe (about 4 crackers)
*Macros calculated using MyFitnessPal.com
Leave a comment