Sneak Some Greens into Your Mac & Cheese Recipe with Crisp Asparagus
Fit Men Cook offers a lightened version of a family favorite!
If you’re looking for the next epic side dish for your upcoming gathering, then here you go! Guarantee everyone will want more and you’ll be the boss of the party.
Best thing about this recipe is that you can stick right there on the grill besides your meat or veggies. Epic grilling at its finest!
- 4oz uncooked quinoa pasta (or wheat pasta)
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1/3 cup sliced red onion (chopped into pieces)
- 3 slices turkey bacon (uncured, nitrate free, natural from turkey leg)**
- 1 tablespoon garlic (paste or minced)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quinoa flour (or wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup goat cheese**
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- 4 tablespoons wheat panko crumbs (or homemade wheat bread crumbs)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- coconut oil spray
- Set your Traeger grill or oven to 350F.
- Cook pasta according to the instructions provided on the package and set aside.
- Spray a (nonstick) skillet on medium-high heat and spray with coconut oil.
- Cook garlic, red onions and bacon together in the skillet for about 4 minutes or until the red onions turn brown and the edges of the bacon are crispy.
- Add chicken broth, flour, Greek yogurt and goat cheese. Stir and allow the sauce to simmer.
- Then add cooked pasta, chopped asparagus and fresh rosemary. Stir thoroughly and then remove from the heat.
- Pour the contents into a baking dish. I used mini cast-iron dishes in order to better measure out individual portion sizes.
- Top with mozzarella, then panko crumbs.
- Bake for at least 20 minutes at 350F, or until the breadcrumbs have turned brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
**denotes optional ingredient
Leave a comment