Impress Your Brunch Crew with Gingerbread Protein Pancakes
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- While pancakes are delicious, it’s easy to overindulge in them
- Make your pancakes more substantial by adding protein powder, oats, and Greek yogurt
- Spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves create a gingerbread flavor
- These pancakes not only taste great but will help fill you up and meet your protein needs
If it wasn’t hard enough to resist your FOMO already, the approaching holidays offer a whole new set of problems with pumpkin spices and full-fat varieties of heartwarming foods. Combat this by trying out these gingerbread protein pancakes. Eschewing the white flour of normal pancakes, these use rolled oats, vanilla protein powder, and Greek yogurt to create delicious and hearty flapjacks packed with protein and long-lasting carbs for a full day. Better still, with the right combination of spices, they taste just like gingerbread. So go ahead, give them a try, and be a strong, independent woman who don’t need no (gingerbread) man. Add some protein powder
to this recipe, for the ultimate protein punch.
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 scoop whey protein powder, vanilla flavor, or equivalent
- ⅓ cup reduced fat (1%) plain Greek yogurt
- 4 large egg whites (½ cup)
- ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. spice mix (see below)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. molasses (Blackstrap if possible)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ medium pear, cut into bite-sized chunks (optional)
- To make spice mix, combine cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine protein powder, yogurt, egg whites, oats, coconut flour, 1 tsp. spice mix, baking powder, and molasses in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Heat large nonstick skillet lightly coated with spray over medium heat.
- Ladle about ¼ cup batter for each pancake; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until bubbles form on top. Flip. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Serve two pancakes topped with pear, if desired; serve immediately.
Leave a comment