- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 small cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 8 small carrots, trimmed
- 2 cups halved baby potatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 pound skirt steak, trimmed
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Grind pickling spice in a clean spice grinder (or coffee grinder); transfer to a small bowl and combine with dry mustard, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss cabbage, carrots and potatoes in a large bowl with half the spice mixture and 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, dill, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Set the vinaigrette aside.
- About 10 minutes before the vegetables are done, cut steak in half crosswise (if it’s one long piece) and rub with the remaining spice mixture. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steak, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes, then thinly slice against the grain.
- Drizzle the roasted vegetables with the vinaigrette and serve with the steak.